2 Wheel Vagabond

2 Wheel Vagabond

Map

Saturday 14 March 2015

Central Java


Every island that I have visited in Indonesia has its own character and identity and I remember each for a different reason, Java stands out for the hospitality and generosity of the people I have been fortunate to befriend here. Java has many big bike owners and the island boasts a strong motorcycle community, especially among BMW GS owners, I was lucky that many of the clubs and groups were more than happy to invite me along for a ride.  From Surabaya to Jogjakarta I couldn’t have hoped for greater hospitality, I was invited to stay at people’s homes, given help with the bike and asked to come along for some great rides time after time. Java has the distinction of being the world’s most populous island and many other motorcycle travellers warned me of the traffic congestion and advised me to pass through quickly. I found myself doing the complete opposite, every time I went to a new city and met new riders it seemed I’d extend my stay here for a little longer. The traffic in the cities was often quite frustrating but it wasn’t long before I was riding like a local and zipping in and out of traffic with the congestion soon forgotten once I discovered the sweeping bends of the hills surrounding Jogja and Solo. I joined a few groups for some day and overnight trips and got to ride some of the best roads I’ve found in Indonesia with some of the friendliest people I have had the pleasure of riding with. The Riders from Central Java know how to organise a day of riding, the scenic roads were only matched by the delicious food we would eat when we stopped for a meal…. Enak Sekali!!! Some of these guys were also very fast, it was the first time in quite a while that I had the chance to do some really quick riding with other riders and I must admit Toletto and Adhi easily had my measure. Many thanks to Babe, Aditya, Odhon, Yudi, Robi, Toletto and a long list of other riders and friends that I have met while I’ve been here and have made my stay so memorable.














No comments:

Post a Comment