2 Wheel Vagabond

2 Wheel Vagabond

Map

Tuesday 25 October 2016

Laos and Northern Thailand

 
 
I crossed the border from Laos to Thailand with very little hassle, the customs guys were very friendly and once the paperwork was done they asked to take some photos with me and the bike, my rule with anything involving government officials is not to stick around for too long in case they happen to ask for more paperwork, which can only cause me more holdups, I snapped my pics and was quickly back on the road. The difference between Laos and Thailand was immediately evident, the roads were busier the towns were bigger and there was more pollution and noise. My first destination in Northern Thailand was Chang Rai which I was told was the country’s arts capital. Chang Rai is home to Wat Rong Khun, which is better known as the White temple and is the creation of artist Chalermchai Kostitpipat, it is not actually a religious site but more of a tourist attraction and has a modern artistic flavour to it with sculptures throughout the grounds. As you enter the temple you pass a bridge surrounded by a sea of grasping hands and the inside of the temple is decorated with a modern space scene mural depicting images of transformers and George bush riding a rocket with Osama Bin Laden riding pillion. The Temple complex also includes a gallery of the artist’s work, this showcased some very impressive art however it also included a high proportion of portraits of the artist, I couldn’t help but feel as though much of what was on show at the white temple was for the gratification of the artist’s ego. I must say that I enjoyed visiting the white temple, it is one of the most beautiful and interesting I have visited but as far as the art goes I had the feeling that the artist was trying a little too hard to be provocative. It seemed to me that the artist is attempting to be avant-garde in the meaning behind his work but the ideas are reminiscent of something you’d see in a high school final art project, unoriginal art with borrowed political undertones, I can’t help but be a little unimpressed when you compare it to the likes of Hironimus Bosch and his artworks that  pushed the envelope over 400 years ago. Another must visit on the artistic trail in Chang Rai is the Black House, the grounds of which comprise of a number of stunning traditional buildings showcasing the art of Thawan Duchanee. The art is of an animist nature with many stuffed animals and skulls on display as you stroll your way through the grounds. The main building houses some very interesting furniture and artwork which are created from natural materials such as wood, bones and furs. The main building also has many paintings on display and although the artwork is very good, once again the main theme is portraits of the artist, which again left me with the feeling that these galleries are more for stroking the artist’s ego than for the artwork itself. Many of the people I talked to weren’t impressed with the black house, describing it as merely a collection of stuffed animals, I on the other hand quite enjoyed it, as much for the buildings as for the art itself.
I also visited a few smaller galleries around Chang Rai to get my art fix and these  actually delivered some more impressive work than the more well known artists, the art was great but I was starting to get keen to get out of the galleries and explore the surrounding area on bike. The North East of Thailand shares its border with Laos and Myanmar in the area which is known as the golden triangle and which is traditionally notorious for its poppy fields and opium production. I took a ride to the river junction that separated the borders and from the viewpoint you could gaze out over the 3 countries, very impressive indeed. A visit to the golden triangle isn’t complete without a tour through the opium museum, the little museum was full of interesting information about the history of the poppy and opium use throughout the years. The roads surrounding the area were great to ride and I enjoyed the twists and turns as I headed back to Chang Rai stopping in at a local Karen tribe village on the way, the Karen tribe are best known for the collection of brass Rings that the women wear around their neck. The girls in the village were busy doing traditional weaving and although they were a little shy they were more than happy to sit down and have a chat, it was great hear about their traditions and everyday life first hand.
From Chang Rai I headed to Chang Mai, the capital of the north, Many travellers I had met had told me what a peaceful and open minded place CM was so I had high expectations, I arrived to find a another large city, compare to the towns of Laos, Chang Mai didn’t rate on the peacefulness scale. The old city of Chang Mai is lovely however and after settling in to my bungalow at Jaidii Guesthouse I spent quite a few days walking the streets and laneways. Chang Mai is a hub for travellers wanting to explore the north of Thailand so there was no shortage of interesting people to talk to, it also has plenty of delicious food and great bars, one of the best being the Northgate blues bar, which would have punters overflowing onto the sidewalk to see some of the quality bands that performed there. The old city of Chang Mai was a great chance to drop the pace of my travels down a notch, do a little less sightseeing and a little more hanging out, I spent most of my time just chilling out at cafes, street food stalls local markets. I did allow myself to do a few touristy activities, one of which was enrolling in Thai cooking class, it would be a travesty to visit northern Thailand and not learn how to make a quality red curry, it was a great day, an added bonus being that most of the other aspiring Thai cooks were women. Something that drew me to Chang Mai was the roads, the area is a bit of a Mecca for riders throughout South East Asia and from around the world, it is home to some of the best riding roads in this part of the world, the most famous being the Mae Hong Son loop, which famously has 1864 corners. I was keen to get the bike onto the twist and turns of the loop but the bike needed a service after the punishment of Laos and Cambodia, Luckily Chang Mai has a BMW dealer so I was able to book the bike in while I relaxed in old town. They staff at Jaidii guesthouse were super helpful and let me store some of my baggage so I could enjoy the next few days riding with a little less weight on the bike, I picked the Beemer up from the dealer, got her packed and embarked on a ride that I had been looking forward to since I began my trip through South East Asia.


 




Add caption
Add caption
Add caption

Add caption




Add caption





Add caption



No comments:

Post a Comment