2 Wheel Vagabond

2 Wheel Vagabond

Map

Thursday 3 September 2015

Bangkok


I thought being stuck in Bangkok for just under 2 weeks was going to be a bit of a nightmare but the Thai capital had quite a bit to offer to keep me occupied. I paid a visit to most of the major attractions including some very impressive temples, the grand palace, several museums and the floating markets. The two highlights that really stuck out were the abandoned Sathorn Unique tower (see previous post) and the museum of anatomy and forensic science, which included some quite grotesque exhibits such as mummified serial killers, human skulls with gunshot wounds and displays of murder weapons. I came to Bangkok with no idea where to stay and after a quick google search ended up where most backpackers end up, Khao San road. The problem with hostels is that they rarely have secure parking for the bike, after a few hours of walking around in the midday heat, dressed in my riding gear I eventually discovered Oasis hostel.  I was really lucky to find this place, it had secure parking for the bike, an outdoor area to chill out and the staff were super friendly. Oasis was also located in a really cool neighbourhood across the canal from Khao San, which meant it was far enough to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the quaint cafes and restaurants but close enough to walk to the bars of Khao San. As always a big reason for enjoying the place so much was because I was lucky to meet some really great people, we also discovered that if we planned for the next day after we had a few beers we would generally have a lot more fun.

While I was waiting for the final drive on my bike to be fixed I decided to get out of town, not wanting to go somewhere that I was going to later visit on the bike I decided to visit Pataya. I had been told that there were some very nice beaches and island here but I had also heard a few stories about this place being the red light capital of Thailand and when I arrived I could see why. I’ve never seen so many gogo bars, clubs, dancing girls and lady boys in one place before, not to mention the many old men with young girls on their arm. I visited a few bars and a few beaches but 2 days was more than enough for me, I thought it might be wise to leave before I decided to stay for longer. I arrived back in Bangkok to the news that my bike was fixed and after a decent going away party in Khao San I headed to Cambodia with just a slight Hangover.

Add caption
Add caption
Add caption

Add caption

Add caption


Add caption






Add caption








No comments:

Post a Comment