2 Wheel Vagabond

2 Wheel Vagabond

Map

Friday 28 August 2015

Sathorn Unique "Bangkok Ghost Tower"


Bangkok has many spectacular attractions, however I arrived looking for something a little different, something that offered a little more excitement than the endless temples that occupy the city. I did a little research and discovered the “ghost tower”, its actual name is the Sathorn Unique and it’s a 43 storey, unfinished and abandoned building. The Sathorn Unique was originally intended to be a luxury residential building but the Asian financial crisis in 1997 left no money for its completion. The more I read the more intrigued I was, stories of the building being haunted, suicides taking place, having to bribe mafia, pieces of the building collapsing as risk seeking travellers climbed the deserted structure left me desperately wanting to experience the Ghost Tower for myself. After all I had read I was a little concerned about visiting the tower alone so I convinced 2 fellow travelling adventure seekers to join me. We grabbed a water taxi and made our way to the Sathorn Unique, all three of us bringing along notions of having to scale walls to enter the building and climbing 43 floors to arrive at a deserted rooftop. Reality soon slapped us in the face…. As we exited the water taxi we soon realised that we were being joined by 15 other tourists with the same idea, our dreams of a stealth commando mission to the top of the tower evaporated.

When we arrived at the base of the building we were greeted by the “mafia” that many people had mentioned, it was actually just two middle aged guys who I assume were the care takers, the fee was 500 baht to enter and they weren’t very willing to negotiate.  I was quite impressed to see a desk in front of the stairs, apparently there was quite a booming tourist trade charging people to enter and these guys had set up a make shift office. It seemed, as often is the case, that many of the dangers that belonged to the Ghost Tower were slightly (at times greatly) exaggerated by those that had previously visited the building, this was an exciting day out but other than getting too close to the edge I didn’t feel as though I was taking a great risk by paying this place a visit. We paid our money and began the climb, we pretty much had the whole building to ourselves and exploring the abandoned building felt like a real adventure. The higher we went the larger the rooms were and you could by their sheer size that the penthouse apartments were designed for the very wealthy. Every room had a balcony and as we ascended the view just got better and better until we walked out onto the rooftop which truly was breathtaking. There was about 20 other people on the rooftop and I was pleasantly surprised to see so few, it wasn’t the huge crowd I feared would be up here and we were all here with the same spirit of adventure.

The roof of the Sathorn Unique was like nothing I have ever experienced, I had seen photos of people standing precariously close to the edge but really had no idea of the sheer drop that was behind them. Something like this would be impossible in most countries, I can honestly say that looking down from a ledge 43 floors up with no rail and no safety gear is a really mind blowing experience. We were lucky to arrive in the afternoon so we were treated to a spectacular sunset over the Bangkok skyline, the Sathorn Unique “Ghost Tower” was not just one of the highlights of my visit to Bangkok but a highlight of my trip so far.

Add caption




Add caption


Add caption

Add caption
Add caption
Add caption
Add caption



Add caption

Add caption





No comments:

Post a Comment