2 Wheel Vagabond

2 Wheel Vagabond

Map

Monday 13 July 2015

Brunei

I was a stones throw from Brunei so I couldn't resist paying a visit to this rich little country out of curiosity and also to tick another country off my list. Thanks to the riches it has gained from oil and natural gas fields the Sultan of Brunei has long been one of the worlds richest men and the population enjoy free education, healthcare and subsidized food and housing, along with not having to pay income tax. Everything I had read about Brunei told me that a 2 day visit to the country was more than enough as there wasn't any tourist attractions to see but I thought I'd find that out for myself. Brunei certainly isn't  a cheap place to visit and taxi prices are very high so I thought what better way to explore than by foot. This would've been a great idea except that it was a very hot day and it was the middle of Ramadan, which I found out everybody must follow, including visitors, after walking for most of the day I was more than happy to return to my hotel room for a drink and a sneaky snack. I visited some very impressive mosques, the water village, museum and markets, it was certainly an interesting experience but I was happy to leave this quiet little Sultanate behind and return to the bright lights of Kuala Lumpur.




No comments:

Post a Comment